Monday, September 19, 2011

Windows by Billy London



Gangsters. Exactly what does this word make you think of? The Godfather? Goodfellas? The Sapranos? (wince) I shouldn’t have mentioned that one, especially after the “incident.” What about Scarface, huh? Does it inspire thoughts of the Tommy gun or cinderblocks? Maybe it makes you wanna go “I’ll have you sleeping with the fishes” in a really, REALLY bad Italian accent. Um…by the way I can’t be the only one who does that right? I’m just saying everybody has a moment where…Okay nevermind. I’m trying to make a point here. When I used to think of gangsters, ROMANCE never once crossed my mind afterwards. Not until Billy London or as I enjoy calling her—Billy oh Billy my Londonite friend. (GRIN)
I’ve read HUNDREDS of romances. Everything from old school historical to supernatural to your everyday story but folks I have NEVER read anything with gangsters and when I finally broke into the world of clean up calls and making people disappear without a trace…well I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED. This book was some of everything that I love in a story; comedy, great dialogue, hot loving, and GREAT romance. (Sigh) Gina and Nick make you pause and think about what love is, what it truly means to give and receive from a special bond between two people. I sound like a big mush head but I don’t care this story will do it to ANYBODY. Alright enough of my blubbering, perhaps I should tell you a little about it then.
Best friends for ten years, Nick and Gina were moving around that very precarious line. (The one where you love you best friend as more than a best friend but you can’t tell them because you’re scared as hell that it’ll ruin what you already have. Yeah that line.) That line and a lot of other lines get crossed and crossed again when Nick finds out that instead of coming to him for help Gina tries to get out of debt but ends up in another very precarious situation. (The one where you borrow money from a bunch of thugs to pay some bills because you really need to then you find yourself unable to pay said money back and said thugs aren’t too pleased about that considering they want said money back and quickly. Yeah that situation.)
Gina doesn’t think Nick could do anything to help to begin with but how wrong she is. See the Da Cavaneze name has far more power than she believes, ties stronger than she knows and a love for her the runs deeper than she realizes. When Nick is finally able to show her exactly what he feels and tell her how long he’s wanted to make her his everything seemed to be going down the perfect path until his mother reveals EXACTLY what the family name means to Gina.
In this tale of ups and downs along with sporadic funnies and whispered sweet nothings you see a friendship grow into something far more, something that many long for and only a select few get; a soul mate. When Billy wrote this there was EMOTION behind it. They weren’t just words, there was a deeper MEANING. What would you do for love? How far would you go to protect those you love? And how hard could you love someone even if they weren’t who you thought they were?
If you haven’t read windows then you need to because SERIOUSLY IT’S JUST THAT DAMN GOOD. Why the hell are you still here? GO GET THE BOOK!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Nikki, I proper love you for this review. Thank you so much! I'll get you a purply flame thrower!!

    ReplyDelete